Recovery and preparation
Jul. 5th, 2026 07:16 amI think the cold is finally gone. Over 2 months, during which time I didn't go to the gym until the last couple of weeks, and I had very little energy - 20 minutes of working outside and I had to go lie down.
Last weekend I did a test hike with Bill, 5 miles total in the Brighton rec area with a 25 pound pack. It was pretty taxing. However yesterday I did 2 hours of river kayaking, which I think was good for my shoulder, and later did a 5.6 mile walk around the neighborhood with the weighted pack and I still felt good at the end. I need to now bump the weight up to 33 pounds or so, I don't expect my complete pack and water to be more than that.
The cold set me back on my training but I think if I can just get back to my normal level of fitness I can handle the trails on the island. Less than 2 weeks to go, I need to train every day.
After the walk yesterday was an overdue lawn mowing - during which time I determined that I am WAY behind on tree maintenance and some other things in the yard. Hopefully I can get to that today. We do have a church thing we committed to first so it'll be after noon.
Last weekend I did a test hike with Bill, 5 miles total in the Brighton rec area with a 25 pound pack. It was pretty taxing. However yesterday I did 2 hours of river kayaking, which I think was good for my shoulder, and later did a 5.6 mile walk around the neighborhood with the weighted pack and I still felt good at the end. I need to now bump the weight up to 33 pounds or so, I don't expect my complete pack and water to be more than that.
The cold set me back on my training but I think if I can just get back to my normal level of fitness I can handle the trails on the island. Less than 2 weeks to go, I need to train every day.
After the walk yesterday was an overdue lawn mowing - during which time I determined that I am WAY behind on tree maintenance and some other things in the yard. Hopefully I can get to that today. We do have a church thing we committed to first so it'll be after noon.